Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXIX No. 7, July 16-31, 2019
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from June 16th to 30th. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. What colour coding will be required on the front side label of Indian packaged foods to represent high fat, sugar and salt content levels as per Food Safety and Standards Authority(FSSAI) ?
2. As per the Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill, how much fine will be imposed for blocking ambulances?
3. Name the head of the Indian Olympic Association and the world hockey body FIH who has become a member of the International Olympic Committee.
4. According to the UN report, ‘The World Population Prospects 2019: Highlights’, in which year will India surpass China as the world’s most populous country: 2022, 2025, 2027?
5. The new Lok Sabha speaker Om Birla is an MP from which State?
6. On June 17, which Asian nation launched its first satellite ‘Ravana-1’ into orbit from the ISS?
7. On which peninsular river is the world’s largest multi-stage, multi-purpose Kaleshwaram Lift Irrigation Project built?
8. On June 23, which famous sporting body celebrated its 125th year of founding with the inauguration of a new HQ building?
9. Which Indian cueist recently became the only player to win Asian and World championships in all formats in both billiards and snooker?
10. According to a recent revelation the air strike by the IAF on a terrorist training camp in Balakot, Pakistan, was code-named…?
* * *
11. Which Chennai resident won the National squash title for a record 17th time recently?
12. On June 20, which bank founded in the State got the approval from the Competition Commission of India to merge with Indiabulls Housing Finance?
13. Name the entity started by M. Soundrapandian in 1972 that has been translating and publishing comics from around the world into Tamil.
14. Name the Sangam era poem from which the FM Nirmala Sitharaman quoted to explain the govt-taxpayer relationship in her budget speech.
15. Who preceded Udayanidhi Stalin as the DMK Youth Wing president?
16. Which institution, offering unconditional emotional support to people who are feeling upset, distressed, depressed and suicidal, was started by Dr. Lakshmi Vijayakumar in April 1986?
17. Name the State’s new Chief Secretary and Director General of Police.
18. Which respected Chennai institution’s in-house magazine is called ‘Eyelights’?
19. What is the height of ‘Aththi Varathar’ and how long will the idol be in the reclining position?
20. Name the town where Dr. U. Ve. Swaminatha Iyer was born, represented by the U in his name.Answers to Quiz
1. Red, 2. Rs. 10,000, 3. Narinder Batra, 4. 2027, 5. Rajasthan, 6. Sri Lanka, 7. Godavari, 8. International Olympic Committee, 9. Pankaj Advani, 10. Operation Bandar.
* * *
11. Joshna Chinnappa, 12. Lakshmi Vilas Bank, 13. Muthu Comics (now Lion-Muthu Comics), 14. Purananooru penned by Pisirandaiyaar, 15. Vellakkoil M.P. Saminathan, 16. Sneha, 17. K. Shanmugam ias and J.K. Tripathy ias, 18. Sankara Nethralaya, 19. The 12-feet idol will be in that position for 40 days, 20. Uthamadhanapuram in Thanjavur district.