Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXXI No. 14, November 1-15, 2021
1. Which two Indian cricketers were recently awarded honorary life membership of the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC)?
2. Name the actor, known for playing Capt. Kirk in Star Trek, who at 90 recently became the oldest person ever in space.
3. Which company has become the 11th State-owned entity to get the coveted ‘Maharatna’ status?
4. The place where Gautam Buddha attained Mahaparinirvana recently got an international airport. Name this city in U.P.
5. Which business group has won the Lucknow IPL franchise with a whopping bid of Rs. 7090 crores?
6. Which Tamil film will be India’s official entry for 94th Academy Awards?
7. The United Nations set up a special trust fund on October 21 in order to provide urgently needed cash directly to the citizens of which Asian country that had a change of regime recently?
8. Name the new social media network launched by former US President Donald Trump, who has been banned by Facebook and Twitter.
9. Name the singer who has sung the anthem Bharat ka Tikakaran that has been launched by the centre to mark the milestone of one billion COVID-19 vaccinations.
10. According to the Henley Passport Index, which two countries (both Asian) have the most travel-friendly passports with their holders allowed to travel across 192 countries visa-free?
* * *
11. In which year was the award instituted and who was the first recipient?
12. Name the two brothers and their father who have been honoured.
13. What does the award comprise?
14. Three of the awardees have gone on to win the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian award. One is Lata Mangeshkar. Name the other two.
15. By what name was the 1973 winner Ruby Myers known on screen?
16. In what aspect of filmmaking was the 2008 winner V.K. Murthy a legend?
17. Till date, how many women have been chosen for the coveted honour?
18. Name the two siblings with the same initials ‘B.N.’, the younger of which set up the famous ‘Vijaya Vauhini Studio’, to be honoured with the Phalke award.
19. Name the personality, who has the unique distinction of acting in the first talkies of three different Indian languages (Hindi, Telugu and Tamil), given the award in 1982.
20. Before Rajinikanth, who was the last resident of Chennai to get this prestigious honour?Answers to Quiz
1. Javagal Srinath and Harbhajan Singh, 2. William Shatner, 3. Power Finance Corporation, 4. Kushinagar, 5. Sanjiv Goenka’s RPSG Group, 6. ‘Kuzhangal’ (Pebbles), 7. Afghanistan, 8. TRUTH Social, 9. Kailash Kher, 10. Japan and Singapore.
* * *
11. 1969 with Devika Rani getting the honour, 12. Prithiviraj Kapoor (father) and Raj & Shashi Kapoor, 13. A Swarna Kamal (Golden Lotus) medallion, shawl, and a cash prize of 10,00,000, 14. Satyajit Ray and Bhupen Hazarika, 15. Sulochana, 16. Cinematography, 17. Six, 18. B. Narasimha Reddy and B. Nagi Reddy, 19. L.V. Prasad, 20. K. Balachander.