Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol XXXI No. 22, March 1-15, 2022
1. Name the leader of the Islamic State (IS) who was killed following a US raid in northern Syria recently.
2. Which film has led this year’s Oscar nominations with 12 including Best Picture?
3. Why was software engineer Josh Wardle in the news recently?
4. Australia has officially designated which of its iconic animals as an ‘endangered species’?
5. Who has become the most expensive uncapped player in the history of the IPL with Lucknow Super Giants paying Rs. 10 crore for him at the recent auction?
6. The Union government recently filed a draft red herring prospectus for selling how much percentage of its shares in the Life Insurance Corporation of India?
7. Ilker Ayci is the new CEO and MD of which iconic corporation that has been in the news of late?
8. India plans to execute which prestigious space mission, the third in the series, this August?
9. India has signed an agreement with the UN’s World Food Programme for the distribution of 50,000 MT of wheat to which Asian nation as part of humanitarian assistance?
10. Name the Pune-based company that is expected to roll out India’s first home-grown mRNA (messenger ribonucleic acid) vaccine by April.
* * *
11. What was Lata Mangeshkar’s original christened name?
12. Lataji has gone on record that she never listened to her songs after they had been recorded/released and had a quirky way of reacting when she heard the sound of her singing waft into her home. How?
13. The legendary singer composed music for five Marathi films under a pseudonym. What was the name she took?
14. Though Lataji worked with all the leading music composers of her time, she did not record a single Hindi film song for which composer, who was known to prefer her sister Asha?
15. In which year was she conferred the Bharat Ratna?
16. Visibly moved, about which iconic song rendered by Lataji did Jawaharlal Nehru remark “Those who don’t feel inspired by _______ doesn’t deserve to be called a Hindustani”?
17. Lataji, who was a Rajya Sabha MP for six years from 1999, asked only one question during her tenure. On what topic?
18. It is well-known that Lataji performed at a special concert to raise funds to reward the 1983 World Cup-winning team. How did the BCCI reciprocate the gesture?
19. Lataji lent her voice to many heroines over seven decades. But, according to her, which actress did optimum justice to her voice on screen?
20. What is the significance of the song ‘Saugandh Mujhe Is Mitti Ki’ composed by Mayuresh Pai?Answers to Quiz
1. Abu Ibrahim al-Hashimi al-Qurayshi, 2.The Power of the Dog, 3. His popular word game ‘Wordle’ was bought by NYT recently for a five-figure amount, 4. Koala, 5. Avesh Khan, 6. 5%, 7. Air India, 8. Chandrayaan-3, 9. Afghanistan, 10. Gennova Biopharmaceuticals.
* * *
11. Heme Hardikar, 12. Go to the kitchen and bang the pots and pans, 13. Anandghan, 14. O.P. Nayyar, 15. 2001, 16. Aye mere watan ke logo, 17. Derailment of trains, 18. It offers the Mangeshkar family two tickets for every international match played in India, 19. Nutan, 20. It is her last released song.