Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXVII No. 22, March 1-15, 2018
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from February 1 to 15. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. Name the Jnanpith recipient and Kannada litterateur who has been elected President of the Sahitya Akademi?
2. According to a recent report by New World Wealth, which Indian city with a total wealth of $950 billion is the 12th richest city globally?
3. Name the most powerful rocket in use today that lifted off on February 6 with a Tesla Roadster as its payload.
4. Which once-in-12-years religious ceremony was inaugurated by President Ram Nath Kovind on February 9?
5. What in the world of business is CriSidEx that was launched on Feb. 3 by the Finance Minister?
6. Of the two defence industrial production corridors mentioned in the Union Budget 2018, the first will link which two major south Indian cities?
7. India won which World title for the fourth time on Feb. 3 at Bay Oval, Mount Maunganui, in New Zealand?
8. Name the new book written by Prime Minister Modi to inspire youth and help them face difficult situations like examinations with fresh and new energy.
9. Which tech giant has launched a public initiative “#Security CheckKiya” to create awareness around Internet safety and to protect young and first-time web users from account hijacking?
10. Which CEO of a global major has been appointed as the International Cricket Council (ICC) Board’s first independent female director?
* * *
11. What famous eatery used to be located at the spot where the TTDC headquarters on Wallajah Road now stands?
12. The Tamil name of which natural feature near Chennai translates to ‘forest of the rooted fruit’?
13. What were the terminal points of the east-west line of the Madras Tramways that was functional till 1953?
14. Which mosque in Triplicane was constructed by Anwaruddin Muhammed Khan, Nawab of the Carnatic in the 18th century?
15. Which famous club’s second home was at Branson Bagh opposite the Church Park School?
16. What do the initials DG stand for in the name of the DG Vaishnav College?
17. Which popular joint in Besant Nagar was started by Daljeet Singh who achieved fame as one of Rajini’s bodyguards/aides in Baasha?
18. In the earlier currency system of Madras, 10 kaasus made up what?
19. Which famous Tamil orator started an institution called Podhunilaik Kazhagam whose motto was ‘Ondre Kulam, Oruvanae Devan’?
20. People having vision problems worship which temple’s deity in Mylapore?Answers to Quiz
1. Chandrashekhar Kambar, 2. Mumbai, 3. Falcon Heavy, 4. Mahamastakabhisheka of Lord Gomateshwara at Shravanabelagola, 5. India’s first sentiment index for micro and small enterprises ( MSEs), 6. Chennai and Bengaluru, 7. ICC Under-19 cricket World Cup, 8. ‘Exam Warriors’, 9. Google, 10. Indra Nooyi
* * *
Annapurna Cafeteria, 12. Pazhaverkadu (Pulicat), 13. Central and Roxy in Purasawalkam, 14. Masjid-o-Anwari, 15. Madras Club, 16. Dwarakadoss Govardhandoss, 17. Cozee, 18. Dudhoo (dhuttu), 19. Maraimalai Adigal, 20. Velleeswarar temple.